Thursday, June 07, 2007

Ian McKellen and the Stage Door Jenny


Eventually got to see King Lear at Stratford on Avon. The tickets were bought last September and this week was the only one with free spaces!

It was good, Ian McKellen is a great actor, if you ever have the chance to see him live then do so. He really potrayed Lear's descent and mental breakdown wonderfully. The ensemble were brilliant. Loved Sylvester McCoy's fool and Philip Winchester's Edmund. This guy is one to watch, he reminds me of Sean Bean and will really go places I think. You may have seen in in the 2004 production of Thunderbirds.

So glad Sylvester McCoy was the fool as this play is dark and really needs the lift he gave it. He is still my favourite Dr Who.

As Mum is disabled we parked in the bays round the side of the theatre right by the stage door. As luck would have it, when we went back to the car at the end of the night Ian McKellen was coming out to do some signing. Of course we had to have him sign for us. We had passed him in the street earlier and thought it unfair to disturb him then. He was not working and I hate it when I get stopped in the street, so know the feeling; although I always try to be polite. I even got recognised in a craft shop the other day.

Seems that the karma paid off. Here's the photo of Mum getting her ticket signed, of course I had to scrap it.

2 comments:

Mandy Charlton, Photographer, Writer, Blogger said...

You get stopped in the street and made to sign autographs?

I shall have you sign something poste haste!!

Glad you enjoyed Sir Ian xxx

Celfyddydau said...

Ha ha ha silly of course I do.